Wednesday 7 August 2013

Super Easy Soft Pretzels

I love soft pretzels. Love. They are my favourite treat when shopping in the States, and I've been known to have more then one before leaving the mall. But, the one time I've made them was such a mess (the boiling in baking soda thing wasn't my cup of tea) that I haven't made them at home since.

Then, I saw this recipe from Canadian chef Stefano Faita (thanks again for the link, K!) and I was intrigued. No boiling? No baking soda? Sold!

They aren't as good as an authentic soft pretzel, but they are a fast and easy alternative that taste great! I served mine with a cheddar cheese sauce, because cheese makes everything that much better. I'm going to try a boiled pretzel recipe at some point before my challenge is over, so stay tuned for that recipe sometime soon.


Pretzel Dough Ingredients

water, active dry yeast, all-purpose flour, salt, sugar

All ready for the oven


Yum!


For the pretzels:

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp salt, for dough
1 egg + 1 tbsp. water, for egg wash
Coarse salt, to taste (I used kosher)
Cheddar cheese sauce, optional (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine warm water with yeast in a small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.

Combine 2 3/4 cups flour with sugar and salt in a large bowl.

Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Using your hands, bring the dough together adding more flour as needed.

Sprinkle work surface with flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.

Divide dough into 12 equal pieces (mine obviously weren't equal!) and roll into 15-inch long ropes. Shape as desired (the traditional knot, sticks, or bites).

Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle liberally with coarse salt.

Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with cheddar cheese sauce, mustard, or any other dipping sauce of your choosing.

For the cheddar cheese sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
~1 cup cheddar cheese 
Pinches of salt, pepper, and cayenne, optional

In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the butter and flour and cook for approximately two minutes (you want to make sure the flour taste has been cooked out).

Slowly whisk in milk and cook until milk has thickened, approximately five minutes. Add seasoning, if using.

Whisk in cheddar cheese, one handful at a time, until completely melted. Cook, whisking constantly, under desired consistency is reached. Serve warm.

Source: KD original


26x26 : 1 / 26



5 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you made them and enjoyed them. Definitely not authentic, but definitely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO excited about this recipe!! Can't wait to try it... I wonder how well they freeze. Or if you could freeze the dough? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually going to be testing the freezing thing! Six are going in the freezer tomorrow for camping next week - I'll update this post afterwards with how they end up.

      Delete
    2. Did freezing them go okay?

      Delete
  3. I wil have to try them ... I have planned to make some in August ... maybe I even repinned this recipe form you already, ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete